Friday, November 23, 2012

Review: Harbour Falls


Harbour Falls (A Harbour Falls Mystery #1)

Title: Harbour Falls (A Harbour Falls Mystery #1)
Author: S.R. Grey
Publication Date: October 31, 2012
Source: Author
Summary (from Goodreads):
Best-selling author Maddy Fitch, researching material for a new novel, returns to her hometown of Harbour Falls to investigate a disappearance that has haunted the tiny Maine coastal town for the past four years. Maddy soon discovers that the case has gone cold, but the prime suspect, Adam Ward, is hotter than ever. Now living on an isolated island, Maddy takes up residence near the sexy Mr. Ward's home. As she begins to seek out answers, the mystery deepens, putting Maddy in jeopardy.
Lies, secrets, deceptions. Nothing is ever what it seems in Harbour Falls.





I love a good mystery—actually my favourite is an erotic mystery. Now, while Harbour Fall doesn’t fall into the erotic category, it was a good mystery novel.  

Maddy Fitch goes back to her hometown to write a novel surrounding the unsolved disappearance of a local girl. Swept up in the mystery of Fade Island and suspecting everyone, Maddy soon finds herself attracted to Adam Ward, the main suspect in the disappearance of the local—his fiancée.

Adam has been attracted to Maddy since their high school days. Now that she’s back and living on his island it seems like the perfect time to make his move. Only how will he feel when he founds out the real reason she’s back in town?

Harbour Falls is one of those novels that once I got into it, it sucked me in and I was suspecting everyone of murdering Chelsea. It definitely kept me interested and wondering who done it—until about half way through when I figured it out. Well, I figured half of it out. There is a little twist in there. There is also a mystery within the mystery of this book since it’s the first in a series.

There were a couple of things I didn’t like, though. There’s a scene where Maddy and Adam set up a date and she sees him drive by with a woman in the car and gets completely jealous and wasted before he shows up for their date. I didn’t like her constant insecurities when it came to Adam, or her actions that night. Any man in his right mind would have taken one look at her drunken jealous behaviour and hit the road.

Adam went from being slightly childish to super aggressive and possessive in a flash. Like when he left the café when Julian (Maddy’s ex) arrives, yet sneaks into her cottage afterwards as if it’s okay. I don’t like controlling men…you know, unless it’s in the bedroom. So his stalker like tendencies irked me.

Speaking of Julian, I thought his visit was pointless. Even though he is mentioned in the book as Maddy’s ex, I don’t think there was a need for him to be a real character. Except to make Adam act like a territorial ass, which he succeeded in doing, but it was still pointless.

Over all I really enjoyed the book. It could have done with another edit or two, but the minor misspellings and grammar errors weren’t enough to pull me out of the story. There are a lot of unanswered questions I have so I’m really glad there’s a squeal. I look forward to reading the next one in the series.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...